Travel Policies and Documents
Please contact Ada Ramirez at 912.279.4536 or Debbie Miles at 912.279.5752 in the Business Office if you have any questions.
July 1, 2018 Changes
Effective July 1, 2018 meal per diems are not eligible for non-overnight travel.
Mileage Rates Increased!
Effective 01/01/2019 the mileage rates increased to:
- Tier 1 Rate: $0.58 per mile
- Tier 2 Rate: $0.20 per mile
Travel form has been updated as of January 1, 2019.
NEW - Important Fuel Card Standards Updated!
An updated Statewide Fuel Card Standards & Guidelines and Policy REQUIRES ACTION of anyone who has fuel card PINs assigned to them. Details can be found in this announcement.
Take the training and access the form at Fuel Acknowledgement Form and Training.
Important Travel Reminders
A Travel Authorization must be on file in the Business Office for all trips prior to the day of departure.
Travel Expense Statements must be submitted to the Business Office within 45 calendar days of the date of return. Expenses submitted in excess of 60 calendar days WILL NOT be reimbursed.
All employees traveling on State business are expected to be familiar with the Georgia State Travel Policy and the Board of Regents Travel Policy. Please reference these documents BEFORE you travel. Only expenses that follow policy will be reimbursed.
All in-state travel meal per diems must follow the Georgia In-State Per Diem Rates, NOT the rates listed for Georgia in the Out of State Domestic Per Diem Rates, these are to be used for travel outside of Georgia only.
For Out of State Overnight Travel, traveler will receive 75% of allowable per diem on day of departure and return regardless of depart and return times minus the full amount of any provided meals.
For In State Overnight Travel, travelers are eligible for per diem amounts designed to cover the cost of three (3) meals per day for all days on travel status including the day of departure and the day of return. Employees traveling overnight “In State” are eligible for 100 percent (100%) of the total per diem rate on the first and last day of travel. For example, if the per diem rate allows a $28 total reimbursement, the traveler would receive a full daily reimbursement amount, less any provided meals. The Travel Expense Form has been updated with the new amounts for In State Travel.
For In State Non-Overnight Travel, travelers are not eligible for per meal diem amounts or reimbursement.
Travelers are to make hotel reservations directly with the hotel property as opposed to using online travel sites like Expedia or Travelocity. Using these services, you are not guaranteed to have taxes waived which could result in non-reimbursable expenses. Furthermore, on-line services such as VRBO and Homeaway are not allowable. Utilization of a private residence is prohibited as per Section 3.1 of the State Travel Policy.
The State of Georgia Certificate of Exemption of Local Hotel/Motel Excise Tax form has been updated and is attached below. Per the Transportation Funding Act of 2015, effective July 1, 2015 hotels in the state of Georgia will charge a $5.00 per room per night hotel tax to travelers. This tax is not exempted for State Employees and is reimbursable. When paying for lodging with personal funds, you are only exempt from the Local Hotel/Motel (or OCC) Excise Tax, you MUST provide the exemption form to the hotel in order for the tax to be removed. You will be reimbursed for State tax and the new $5.00 tax. Please check your bill for accuracy before leaving.
Car rentals are not to be direct billed to the College without prior approval, direct bill vehicle rentals are reserved for large groups and/or financial hardships. State tax is not reimbursable on vehicle rentals, please make sure you are not charged State tax.
The Georgia Department of Administrative Services, through contracts with Hertz, provides out of state car rental services at substantial savings, and convenience for state employees. Rentals are available at contract rates for official state business, and at commercial rates for personal rentals.
The Georgia Department of Administrative Services, through contracts with Enterprise Rent-a-Car and Hertz, provides car in state rental services at substantial savings and convenience for state employees. Rentals are available at contract rates for official state business and at commercial rates for personal rentals.
Airline tickets may be direct billed to the College by contacting The Travel Service on St. Simons Island at (912) 638-6888. A Travel Authorization must be on file. No tickets that are purchased directly by the traveler will be reimbursed before the trip. All travel expenses are reimbursed at one time after returning.
For air travel, reimbursement for only one (1) checked bag is allowable. If additional baggage is needed for business purposes, the business purpose must be explained. Receipts are required for reimbursement of baggage fees.
Business Class flights are reimbursable for international travel only when a non-stop portion of the flight exceeds 10hrs.
All reimbursements must include ORIGINAL ITEMIZED RECEIPTS; a customer's copy of a charge slip is NOT an itemized receipt.
Travel expense reimbursements will be processed via direct deposit (form below). Please note that the expenses direct deposit sign up is different from your payroll direct deposit. You must complete the form below to have your travel reimbursements electronically deposited into your bank account. This is a one time set-up, however, you must inform Business Services of any changes in bank account and/or mailing address information.
Important Mileage Reimbursement RequirementsAdditional requirements implemented for mileage reimbursement for personal vehicle.
- Employees traveling on State business must use a temporary fleet vehicle, if available.
- If a temporary fleet vehicle is not available, state employees must choose the least expensive option between a rental vehicle or mileage reimbursement for use of their personal vehicle. Rental Cars should be used when it is determined that it is the most economical form of transportation.
- To determine the most cost effective means of ground transportation, refer to the car rental cost calculator form (link below). Form MUST accompany ALL mileage reimbursements
- Any mileage reimbursement that does not include the car rental cost calculator form, or the form indicates that rental vehicle would be more cost effective and personal motor vehicle is used, the employee will be reimbursed for business miles based on the tier 2 rate which is currently 0.20 per mile.
- You may reserve a car directly from the link on the car rental cost calculator form. It is quick and easy. You will pay for the car when you pick it up and seek reimbursement for it with your travel expenses. Car rentals are not to be direct billed to the College without prior approval, direct bill vehicle rentals are reserved for large groups and/or financial hardships. State tax is not reimbursable on vehicle rentals, please make sure you are not charged State tax.
- Mileage between Main and Camden Campus are excluded from the car rental cost calculator requirement. It has been predetermined that it is most economical to reimburse personal mileage for travel between campuses.
All Mileage/Travel reimbursement must meet the following criteria
- Office and Home addresses must be completed at the top of the Expense Statement.
- Daily personal commute miles from residence to work (one-way) MUST be filled in.
- Dates AND times must be completed in the meal sections.
- When completing the Personal Vehicle Mileage section, the following rules apply.
- Origin/Destination must specify either Home, Main, or Camden (or other specific location if traveling away from campus)
- Commute (and personal if any) miles MUST be entered when not leaving or returning directly to and from Campus.
- Employees should use methods such as Google maps or MapQuest to calculate actual travel distances. A copy of the results must be attached.
- Car rental cost calculator form MUST be included in all mileage reimbursements except for mileage between campuses.
- CCGA PowerPoint Presentation - Travel Overview
- Georgia State Travel Policy
- Board of Regents Travel Policy
- Car Rental Cost Comparison Tool
- Enterprise Rental Car
- Hertz Rental Car
- Georgia In-State Per Diem Rates
- GSA Mileage Update
- Out of State Domestic Per Diem Rates
- International Per Diem Rates
- Travel Authorization
- GA Hotel Motel Tax Exempt
- Sales Tax Certificate of Exemption
- NEW Travel Expense Form January 2019
- NEW International Travel Expense Form (January 2019)
- Oct 2018 Travel Expense Form (for 2018 travel only)
- Candidate Travel Expense Form
- Direct Deposit Authorization Form