Federal Direct PLUS Loan InstructionsThe College of Coastal Georgia participates in the Federal Direct PLUS (Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students) Loan Program. The Direct PLUS Loan Program is offered by the US Department of Education and it provides parents with a simple, inexpensive way to borrow money to pay for their children's college expenses.
Parents may borrow a PLUS Loan to help pay educational expenses of a dependent that is enrolled at least half-time (6 credit hours). PLUS Loan borrowers must have an acceptable credit history. Remember - LOANS MUST BE REPAID. The interest rate on PLUS Loans is currently 7.21%. PLUS Loan borrowers have the option of beginning repayment either 60 days after the loan is fully disbursed or waiting until six months after the dependent student on whose behalf the parent borrowed ceases to be enrolled on at least a half-time basis.
Applying for a PLUS LoanOnce your dependent has completed his/her FAFSA application (and submitted any additional requested documents), follow the instructions below to apply for a PLUS LOAN:
- Parent logs into www.studentloans.gov using their FAFSA pin number, then clicks on “Request a Direct PLUS Loan”, then scroll to the bottom and click “Parent PLUS” complete the application
- Complete the promissory note. The promissory note is a legally binding agreement that contains the terms and conditions of the loan. It explains how and when the loan should be repaid. By signing it, you are promising to repay your PLUS Loan. Keep the promissory note and any other loan documents in a safe place until the loan is repaid. Once you have submitted this application it will be sent to the College electronically by the Department of Education.
- Click here to complete the PLUS Loan application.
Questions? Email the Financial Aid Office at email@example.com.
Helpful Student Loan Links
- Direct Loan Students Page
- Direct Loan Repayment Plans
- Direct Loan Online Account
- Your current Student Loan Balance
- Finaid.org Loan information page
- Entrance/Exit counseling
- Federal Student Aid Gateway
- Federal Loans vs. Private Loans