Social Security and Tax Assistance

Social Security for International Students

Students on F-1 and J-1 visas who have an on-campus job, or who have been granted off-campus employment authorization, need to apply for a social security number. To obtain a social security number, you must apply at the local Social Security Office at 134 Juniper Ct, Brunswick, GA 31520 (telephone: 866-964-6563) by presenting a completed application form (available using the web link below or Social Security Office), a letter from your employer verifying your employment, a letter from the Office of International Education, your passport, I-20 (or DS-2019) and I-94 card.

  • Social Security Card Instructions & Application

  • It can take several weeks before receiving a social security card, so eligible students should apply as soon as possible but should wait at least 10 days after arriving to the United States to ensure their information is in the system.

    Tax Assistance

    All international students and their dependents are required to file at least one tax form for every year they are in the US. Tax forms for 2018 are due April 15, 2019.

    All international students and their dependents are required to file file a tax return with the federal government and the Georgia state government regardless of whether or not they earned any money. A tax return is a report to the government that shows how much you earned, how much you were taxed, and how much you should have been taxed during the previous year. If you also worked outside Georgia, you might need to file a return on other state or city taxes as well.

    F-1/J-1 Student Visa Holders

    Resided in the United States for less than five years (non-resident alien)

    Resided in the United States more than five years (resident alien)


    If you are an international student who is considered a non-resident alien for tax purposes but filed your tax return as a resident alien for tax purposes, you need to amend your tax return. If you received refunds, some or all of the tax refund will likely need to be paid back to the IRS. You can read more about how to do this and get assistance by using Sprintax - just log into your Sprintax account to start amending. There is new information from the IRS regarding the Economic Impact Payments and includes how to return payments received in error. The link to the full guidance is on the IRS website.

    Sprintax is special tax prep software designed specifically for international students and other non-residents, offering 24/7 live tax assistance by phone and chat. The information is multi-lingual and Sprintax can also complete State of Georgia Income Tax Forms for an additional fee.

    • Federal and 8843 code: CLCG2017B

    In preparation for the next tax season, an informative tax information workshop will be offered sometime in ealry spring to international students on the College's campus.

    powered by finalsite