The Writing Center
For the Fall 2020 term, the Writing Center will open on August 17, 2020. Check back for more details about our hours of service.
Our Mission: Supporting the college mission of outstanding educational excellence and engagement by providing writing coaching that promotes writing skills and student success.
At the Writing Center, we have three guiding principles, based on Writing Center theory and practice:
- Develop the writer, not just the paper.
- Stephen North, a famous writing center scholar, said that our job as writing center teachers is “to produce better writers, not better writing.” If the writer improves, the paper follows.
- Even the best athletes need coaches.
- The students who work at the writing center are called Coaches. We believe that “coach” and “coaching” are a good description for our role. Even the strongest Olympic athletes need coaches to provide perspective and an outside opinion.
- Knowledge is fundamentally social.
- We encourage an environment of active, collaborative learning that occurs outside the classroom. Our coaching sessions are not passive; writers are expected to participate in the co-construction of their learning.