The Writing Center
Welcome to the Fall 2020 semester!
Instructions for Writing Center writing coaching access:
Welcome to the online Writing Center! We are glad you are here, and we have several options available for you. Please follow these procedures to connect with a writing coach:
Great Technology Access: Look at the list of writing coaches below, and see which coach is working at the time you are available. For example, if you want to have a session at 3pm on Tuesday, you can click on the link beside Bobbie to access her Collaborate session room at that exact time. You might have to cut and paste the link to the Collaborate room in to your browser if you are unable to get the link to work directly. Go ahead and email your paper (if you have one) to the writing coach as well.
Email-Only Access: If you don’t have access to Collaborate, you can email your paper to the writing coach and have an email-based session. Be sure to include information about your assignment. If the email link doesn't automatically take you to an email, go ahead and cut and paste the email address into your address line in your email. Coaches will respond to email during their hours listed. You can also email the director, Dr. Gray, if you’d like a response outside of these hours (or with any questions). Dr. Gray: email@example.com
Limited or No Internet Access: If you don’t have access to the Internet, please call Dr. Gray’s office at 912-279-5910 and leave a message with your contact information. Telephone-based sessions are available.
Writing coach: Nicole
Her Collaborate session room: https://us.bbcollab.com/guest/394ed12acb9d471da669e82a383645e7
Hours: 9am to 12:30pm on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays
Writing coach: Kimmy
Her Collaborate session room: https://us.bbcollab.com/guest/bf5df12dfe734848aa4a1552c165d184
Hours: 9:30am to 2:30pm on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and 9:30am to 1:30pm on Fridays
Writing coach: Conlan
His Collaborate session room: https://us.bbcollab.com/guest/2a85e120f5354bd9acff...
Hours: 12pm to 2pm on Tuesdays, 1pm to 4pm on Wednesdays, and 11am to 3pm on Thursdays
Writing coach: Bri
Her Collaborate session room: https://us.bbcollab.com/guest/545156a14c2b44e7a25a56773e391746
Hours: 5:30am to 7:30am on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays
BONUS Email-Only Hours: 10:30am to 12:30pm on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays
Writing coach: Bobbie
Her Collaborate session room: https://us.bbcollab.com/guest/cdb23f826bbf402d82f77a40d6228e2c
Hours: 1pm to 5pm on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays
Bobbie is Collaborate only.
Our Mission: Supporting the college mission of outstanding educational excellence and engagement by providing writing coaching that promotes writing skills and student success.
At the Writing Center, we have three guiding principles, based on Writing Center theory and practice:
- Develop the writer, not just the paper.
- Stephen North, a famous writing center scholar, said that our job as writing center teachers is “to produce better writers, not better writing.” If the writer improves, the paper follows.
- Even the best athletes need coaches.
- The students who work at the writing center are called Coaches. We believe that “coach” and “coaching” are a good description for our role. Even the strongest Olympic athletes need coaches to provide perspective and an outside opinion.
- Knowledge is fundamentally social.
- We encourage an environment of active, collaborative learning that occurs outside the classroom. Our coaching sessions are not passive; writers are expected to participate in the co-construction of their learning.