As a state college of the University System of Georgia, the College of Coastal Georgia will be a college of choice for Georgia residents and beyond by providing an accessible and affordable quality education. The College promotes student progression and timely graduation through student–centered programs that offer a rich and diverse student experience. Students are prepared for meaningful careers, advanced study, lifelong learning, and participation in a global and technological society. The institution will provide associate and baccalaureate degrees that support the intellectual, economic, and cultural needs of the community and region.
Approved (November 10, 2015) and Reaffirmed (January 12, 2021) by the USG Board of Regents.
The College shares state college core characteristics within the University System of Georgia. They include:
- a commitment to excellence and responsiveness within a scope of influence defined by the needs of a local area by particularly outstanding programs or distinctive characteristics that have a magnet effect throughout the region or state
- a commitment to a teaching/learning environment, both inside and outside the classroom, that sustains instructional excellence, functions to provide University System access for a diverse student body, and promotes high levels of student learning
- a high quality general education program that supports a variety of well-chosen associate programs and prepares students for baccalaureate programs, learning support programs designed to insure access and opportunity for a diverse student body, and a limited number of certificate and other career programs to complement neighboring technical institute programs
- a limited number of baccalaureate programs designed to meet the educational and economic development needs of the local area
- a commitment to public service, continuing education, technical assistance, and economic development activities that address the needs, improve the quality of life, and raise the educational level within the state college's scope of influence
- a commitment to scholarship and creative work to enhance instructional effectiveness and to encourage faculty scholarly pursuits; and a responsibility to address local needs through applied scholarship, especially in areas directly related to targeted baccalaureate programs.