2022 Quality Enhancement Plan
The Quality Enhancement Plan (QEP) is part of the reaffirmation of accreditation by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC). The QEP involves developing and accessing a strategy to improve an area of student learning or student success in a significant way through a campus-wide, five-year initiative. The focus of the QEP is determined by faculty, staff, and students, and must provide resources for the development, implementation, assessment, and completion of the plan. The QEP must be approved by a team of SACSCOC peer reviewers in November 2021 as a condition for Coastal Georgia's reaffirmation in June 2022. The elements of an approved QEP include the following criteria:
Standard 7.2: Quality Enhancement Plan
The institution has a Quality Enhancement Plan that
- has a topic identified through ongoing, comprehensive planning/evaluation processes;
- has broad-based support of institutional constituencies;
- focuses on improving specific student learning outcomes and/or student success;
- commits resources to initiate, implement, and complete the QEP; and
- includes a plan to assess achievement.
What is Coastal Georgia's QEP?
COMPASS: Chart Your Course, the College of Coastal Georgia's Quality Enhancement Plan (QEP), is focused on creating an environment that promotes student growth and development through integrated career and academic planning. The goal of the QEP is to direct a cohort of first-time freshmen to apply their interests and abilities toward developing educational and career goals to choose and stay on an academic pathway through degree completion. The plan's goal will be accomplished through the following student success outcomes:
- Students will establish educational and career goals consistent with their interests and abilities.
- Students will develop and articulate an actionable academic plan aligned with their educational and career goals.
- Students will achieve timely progression in attaining their educational and career goals.
This document is an action plan supporting these outcomes. It includes a corresponding description of the organizational structure necessary to achieve the outcomes and an assessment plan to measure the effectiveness of the QEP. The student success outcomes will be achieved at multiple points during a student’s educational journey. The QEP will offer first-time freshmen opportunities to begin to connect their academic and social experiences to personal growth and career development, as well as enhance their awareness of the resources and activities provided to help guide them in both academic and career planning. Coastal Georgia’s action plan will focus on the following:
- Student success – To better prepare students to enter the workforce upon graduation by engaging them in career planning activities through intentional progression milestones, useful program maps, and experiential learning. Additionally, students will articulate learned, relevant skills and experiences as they navigate life after college.
- Professional development – To equip faculty and staff with the knowledge, tools, and ideas to effectively support integrated career and academic planning, creating an enriched educational environment that emphasizes students’ career exploration skills.
The COMPASS Career & Academic Advising Center will serve as the “bridge” connecting student success and professional development. The Center will provide academic advising and career counseling to connect students to academic and career planning resources. Further, the Center will offer students mentoring opportunities with faculty, staff, and peers while coordinating QEP-related campus activities.
The QEP topic grew from a year-long comprehensive, systematic, and collaborative planning process. The College's broad constituency – faculty, staff, students, administrators, and alumni – engaged in focus groups, listening sessions, and surveys. Additionally, a review of existing practices, empirical data from campus assessments, and best practices served as a foundation for developing the plan. The QEP Topic Selection Committee solicited ideas and potential topics, then narrowed the field of proposals. These submissions were then refined according to SACSCOC guidelines. The highest-ranked topic focused on integrating academic advising and career development to improve student success. The final proposal was presented and approved by the President’s Cabinet. The QEP Development Committee then discussed, designed, and matched student success outcomes to the actions, institutional structure and resources, and developed an implementation timeline.
Student success will be assessed using multiple methods that will inform the continuous improvement of the QEP to maximize and sustain its impact.
What actions will be implemented through the QEP?
Over five years, the QEP will engage first-time student cohorts in career exploration, development of a career goal, and selection and persistence of an academic pathway to complete their programs of study. As the QEP is implemented, the College will:
- Measure cohort students' confidence in their ability to make effective career decisions
- Utilize FOCUS2Career, an online career guidance system, to help cohort students establish educational and career goals aligned with their interests.
Encourage cohort students to design and utilize an ePortfolio based on personal growth and development.
- Provide a virtual library orientation to increase cohort students’ information literacy and knowledge of career exploration resources.
- Offer in-class COMPASS presentations in core courses to teach the connections between core courses, the reasons they are taking particular classes, and how they are tied to their individual career goals.
- Provide cohort students with individualized program maps, which include course sequences and milestones for degree completion.
- Require cohort students to complete at least one experiential learning activity to bridge the gap between theory and practice, accelerate learning, and enable personalized learning.
- Connect cohort students with co-curricular programs that are aligned with academic and career planning activities.
As the QEP action plan will be implemented over several years, not all activities will be available to the cohort students. As implementation of the action plan progresses, additional activities will be available to students. Activities will be reviewed yearly to determine if changes are necessary.
If you have any questions about the QEP topic selection or development process, please email email@example.com.