TRiO Student Support Services"Students in the TRiO Student Support Services program are more than twice as likely to remain in college than those students from similar backgrounds who did not participate in the program" (Department of Education TRiO Website).
What is the TRiO Student Support Services program?The TRiO Student Support Services (SSS) program is a federally funded grant program through the Department of Education. The goal of TRiO Student Support Services is to improve the success rates of college students who qualify to participate in the program by providing a variety of support services.
Who is eligible to apply?
A student is eligible to participate in TRiO SSS if he/she is accepted to enroll
the following semester or enrolled as seeking an Associate of Arts (AA) or an Associate
of Science (AS) with plans to complete a bachelor's program and taking at least
6 credit hours that semester
- Additionally a student is eligible for the program if he/she meets one or more criteria
of a, b, or c AND 2 and 3 below. That the student;
a - Is a first-generation college student (neither of the student's parents or guardians received a bachelor's degree)
b - comes from a low- income family
(as defined by Federal guidelines here)
c - has a disability (must be documented with the Office of Disability Services at the College of Coastal Georgia)
- Is a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident of the same
- Has a need for academic services (need for academic intervention)
What services does TRiO offer?The TRiO program offers a variety of free services to eligible participants, including:
- Academic tutoring assistance in most subjects
- Peer mentoring and support from other successful TRIO students and faculty
- TRiO scholarships and assistance applying for college scholarships
- Intensive academic advising and counseling
- Career and college major counseling
- Financial aid economic literacy workshops
- Support and advocacy