Veteran's Affairs

The College of Coastal Georgia is approved by the State Department of Veterans’ Services, under existing public laws, to accept and certify students eligible for Veterans’ benefits. Eligible Veterans and/or their eligible dependents should make application for Veterans benefits at Veterans On-Line Application (VONAPP). The Veterans’ Affairs Certifying Official is located in the Office of Financial Aid and Veteran’s Affairs. Individuals applying for Veterans’ benefits must meet all admissions requirements. No benefits can be received until the student’s eligibility has been certified by the Certifying Official. Certification of enrollment may be approved only for a program leading to an educational, professional, or vocational objective for which the application is not already qualified. (Exception: Students may be permitted to take certain remedial or refresher courses commensurate with the college requirements or needs in their degree areas of study).

At the beginning of EACH semester, it is IMPERATIVE that students who are receiving VA benefits must fill out a VA schedule form with the VA Counselor showing the number of credit hours he/she is attempting to complete. If any changes are made at any time during the semester in the number of credit hours carried, this information must also be submitted to the VA Counselor.

Veterans Benefits

If you are a veteran and enrolled either full or part-time in college, you may be eligible to receive educational assistance through the GI Bill.  VA education benefits may fall into one of these categories (chapters):
  • Chapter 30 - Active duty service person
  • Chapter 31 - Vocational rehabilitation and employment.
  • Chapter 35 - Veteran's dependent (spouse, surviving spouse, or child)
  • Chapter 1606 - Active selective reservist or National Guardsperson
  • Chapter 1607 - REAP - (Reserve Educational Assistance Program)
For a complete description of each chapter, go to
Payment rates for the VA programs are listed here:

Veteran Affairs Forms

Be Sure To Indicate On All Forms The Benefits Chapter You Are Using

Application Procedures for VA Education Benefits

  1. Verify your eligibility and determine the benefit chapter you are eligible for by calling the VA Educational Office at 1-888-442-4551. The chapters are:
    • 30 (active duty veteran)
    • 31(Voc. Rehab. veteran)
    • 32 - Veterans Educational Assistance Program (VEAP)
    • 35 (children/dependents or spouse)
    • 1606 (Selected Reserve)
    • 1607 (Activated National Guard and Reserve members after 09/11/01)
  2. Application Process:
  3. Submit a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility to the Office of Financial Aid at CCGA.

Change of Program or Place of Training

These forms are for individuals who have used benefits before
  • VA Form 22-1995: CH 30, 32, 1606, 1607
  • VA Form 22-5495: CH 35
  • VA form DD-214 Member Copy-4 (if you are a veteran) or form DD-2384 (NOBE, if in the Reserves)
  • Official transcripts from previous colleges attended
  • Math and English Placement Scores if remedial coursework is needed
  • All transient students must submit a letter of good standing from their primary/home institution

Responsibilities of students receiving benefits:

  • To be eligible to receive educational benefits under the Montgomery GI Bill, you need to be in a degree seeking program offered at College of Coastal Georgia.
  • The Veterans Counselor will not submit an enrollment certification for you without a completed VA Schedule form.
  • VA will not pay for courses that do not count toward your program of study at College of Coastal Georgia. Courses will be tracked, and could result in an overpayment if courses are taken that are not required in your major program.
  • VA does not pay for withdrawal of a course(s) unless there are mitigating circumstances involved. If you withdraw from a course, you need to let the VA Counselor know right away. A withdrawal/drop will get reported whether or not you notify us! You will have an overpayment to the VA and will owe them money.
  • If you are repeating a class for a better grade (not because you failed the course), that class will not count in your certification for GI Bill benefits!
  • If you are changing your major, you must notify the Veterans Counselor.  You must also complete and submit a SCOVAA form 22-1995 (Request for Changes of Program or Place of Training).
  • All students receiving either the Montgomery GI Bill Active duty, Selected Reserve and Dependents must verify their enrollments monthly to receive payments.  Verification can be done by using either the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) application on the Department of Veterans Affairs website or by calling 1-888-442-4551 and following the prompts.
  • VA takes 6 – 8 weeks to process an enrollment certification.  Please be timely when submitting your request.

Take Charge And Sign Up For

Other VA Educational Opportunities

Links and Resources

Veterans for America
Veteran Scholarships
Seamless Transition Home
Resources for counseling services
Student Veterans of America
Military Spouse Resource Center